Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sights, camera, action!


Uh... how unfortunate?

The cobblestone streets sure aren't flip flop friendly.



Here's Nuevo Vallarta - the new complex of mega resorts without personality. You drive to the middle of not much, only to be surrounded by other mega resorts with pools, beach umbrellas, and lots of leathery skin. OK, it's clearly not my kind of place. But! The hotels are right on the beach and they aren't too busy. So, if you're looking for a relaxing getaway of doing pretty much nothing but food and beach, then this is for you. Bring a full wallet.



These guys are called the voladores de papantla. There is a tall pole, and five men sit atop it. The rite begins when the men climb to the top of the pole. One stays in the middle and plays a flute-like instrument called a chirimia. When he stops playing, the other four men simultaneously fall/swing/flow toward the ground, their upside down bodies slowly getting closer and closer to the ground. The first time I heard it described, I thought it was a joke.

It's almost like a pre-historic Cirque du Soleil. Others interpret it as a fertility rite.


A common brand, of which I'm sure many a North American has giggled over.


These are beaches close to the malecon (walking area with bars, restaurants, and souvenir shops).




I had my Lonely Planet books with me at the beach and a fellow Canadian chatted me up. He is also from Vancouver, but he's spending about 4-6 months in PV and then "might" live in Europe for awhile. This is his puppy:

On the way to another beach...


Mismaloya Beach, where Night of the Iguana was filmed:

1 comment:

  1. So, are all monkeys cheeky?
    I'm pretty sure I bought Bimbo bread too.
    This makes me really miss Mexico.

    ReplyDelete