Monday, February 28, 2011

Coyoacan & San Angel

Alright - time for a little more tourism.

This is Viveros de Coyoacan. I'd heard that it was popular with joggers, and boy was that right. It's packed with joggers and vegetation. They weren't exactly hard-core professional joggers, but I felt out of place walking and taking pictures.


I walked all around Coyoacan under the blazing hot sun. Churches, plazas, markets, people, cobblestone streets.




I got a bit lost. There are two streets with the same name (which isn't mentioned on my map) and I went down a long private alley before finding the right one. The alley had nice houses and nice electric fences.





Tortilla madness:


Chicharon madness:


Museo Frida Khalo :) How enjoyable.


This picture really makes Diego Rivera look like a perv.


My guide book said that a trip to Coyoacan wouldn't be complete without a cappuccino and doughnut at El Jarocho (the name for people from Veracruz). A 'cappuccino' costs about a dollar, and let's just say that I know why they're so cheap. If you heap a lot of sugar into it, it gets a lot better.



Next I traced my way back through Coyoacan, walked past Viveros, past the metro, and onward to San Angel. It brought me to the Templo Y Museo de el Carmen. I mostly went to check out the mummies. I never expected to find mummies in a church. The dozen mummies in the crypt are "thought to be the bodies of 17th-century benefactors of the order."




By the late afternoon I left to meet some friends and family. I was completely dying from the heat, but it looks like I need to go back to San Angel for one more stop.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great post with lots of wonderful photos. I love that you found the Khalo Museum and the mummies. Nice flower pics too. :-)

    ReplyDelete