Saturday, January 1, 2011

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

New Years celebrations started with an evening dinner with the family. Yet another family that is kind enough to incorporate a veggie into their meal plan :)

A pancake wrapped around a pepper baked with cheese inside (the substitute). Cilantro, juicy pomegranate, and a creamy chili sauce. We also had a spaghetti bake. My version had noodles, cheese, and walnuts. And for dessert - even though there really wasn't room - flan.


Around 20 min before midnight, three of us whisked off to a banquet hall to join several dozen other family members. Lots of the bf's cousins, aunts, and uncles; he hadn't seen them in 10 years.

We went around greeting everyone, ate 12 grapes and had a bevy. After midnight, it's the custom to hug and kiss everyone, and that we did.



Mexicans are famous for partying, and I can vouch that age doesn't dampen that inner fire.

The night was filled with food and drink. And more drink. Draws, piñatas, and dancing.

Up first at the piñata were the children:

Candy frenzy


The inner-workings of thee:


Anyone for some "Mini Bum"?


The women's and men's piñatas followed. There must have been 5 or 6 in total. In the beginning everyone was eager to have their hit, but by the last piñata most people were too tired and sitting down.

I had a go at it a few times. They introduced me as a Canadian who had never hit a piñata before and who didn't speak much Spanish.


The end of the night was so much fun. I danced a lot and talked with people in broken Spanish.

The music: salsa, and English music like YMCA, music from Grease, Stayin' Alive, a square dancing number *scratches head*, I Will Survive, plus a bunch of recent hip hop club hits. I don't really know how to salsa, but I can improvise with a little guidance.

I didn't check my watch to see when it ended, but I remember a room full of Mexicans slapping their hands on the table in the wee hours of the morning yelling "otro" and wanting the party to go on.

1 comment: